Saturday, December 18, 2010

"Black Swan" and "The King's Speech" reviews

There are advantages and disadvantages to living in any particular location.  One of the things I love most about where I live is that there is, nearby, a movie theater that plays the stuff that's out in limited release.  In 2010 I've seen probably a dozen or more films that are foreign films, documentaries and the like, that are not films ever in wide-release.  Or, as was the case with today, films that are not YET in wide-release.

Today, my lady and I did a double-feature of two films we both have been dying to see.  Two films that are likely going to be contending for the Best Picture Oscar in a couple of months.

We started our day with "Black Swan".


Ummmm...no, that's NOT what I meant.  Actually, I was talking about the latest from director Darren Aranofsky, who directed films such as "Requiem For a Dream" and "The Wrestler".  It's a dark tale of ballet, which isn't something you've heard often about a movie, I'm sure.  Natalie Portman plays the main character who is performing the lead in a rendition of 'Swan Lake'.  However, she seems to be battling her mother, her performance director and other ladies, one of whom may want to take over her part.  Then again...is she actually battling ANY of these people?  Or is she just simply descending into madness?


Portman is seen here with co-star Mila Kunis, and those two engage in one particularly memorable scene that easily wins my award for Most Hardcore Lesbian Sex Scene, Non-XXX Division, Ever.  I was pretty surprised it went that far.  It lasts about a minute.  The film actually is pretty full of sexual content, and that combined with the overall mindfuck that the film delivers, tells me that this is NOT going to be a film for everybody.  The story is fantastic, however.  Seriously, this is a film that SHOULD be nominated for Best Picture and likely will be, but I have a feeling the Academy's mindset does not award this film the ultimate prize.  With that said, Portman's performance is just off the page.  She's shown already in the past that she is not "just another actress", and I consider her the Best Actress Oscar frontrunner at this point.  As for everyone else, I wasn't really blown away by any single performance outside of one, by Winona Ryder.  It took until 2010 but it has finally happened.  I finally can watch Winona Ryder act and no longer have the stigma surrounding her that has existed, which is that I could never take her seriously because of all the teen-angst roles she did in the 80's and 90's.


Hmmmm...why is her right hand seemingly covered in black ink?  You'll need to see the film to find out.  This film lived up to my expectations, it was great.  But I have to say again, this is not going to be a film for everyone.

So after a brief lunch/shopping break, we went in for the second half of our movie binge.  As excited as I have been for months to see "Black Swan", my lady has been equally excited for months to see "The King's Speech".  Fortunately, we both wanted to see both films, but we each had been clamoring for our respective individual ones specifically and especially.





Colin Firth stars in this British film, and the film almost immediately opens with the above scenario where Colin, as Albert the Duke of York (son of King George V and second-in-line for the crown), is to give his first public speech on this new medium known as radio.  It is a disaster.  Albert has a stutter.  His wife (played by Helena Bonham Carter) has tried several Monarchy-approved doctors but none have been able to get him to cure the speech impediment.  He forbids her to bring any more doctors his way, but she tries one last attempt nonetheless when she visits Lionel Logue, played by Geoffrey Rush.


Albert is hesitant but ultimately Logue winds up leading him into a breakthrough after only a short initial session.  From then on, the film builds and we follow both as they progress not only as patient/doctor, royal/commoner, but ultimately as friend/friend.  Albert winds up over time becoming the King, just as Hitler is overtaking Europe and WWII is in full force.  The people of England need to be reassured.  Can Albert, who is now King George VI, overcome his impediment and deliver what is necessary to his people?


The film is not a "fast" movie, and it doesn't need to be.  It's very well-written, very well-paced and very well-acted.  It's also surprisingly funny at times.  On the whole, I actually will go so far as to say I liked this film over "Black Swan".  I really enjoyed it, everything about it.  This is a winner.  Colin Firth seems like a lock for Best Actor, and Geoffrey Rush should also be in the running for his supporting role.  These films also tend to do well with some technical awards.  Basically, having seen a number of likely contenders for Best Picture, I would say that right now my vote is between this film and "The Social Network", and I would tilt the needle towards this film as far as which movie has the potential to take home the most Academy Awards.

Two great films, both will be widely-released in the next week or two.  It's going to be a very good year for the Oscars as I think 2010 has been a high-quality year for film.

1 comment:

  1. I STILL think Colin Firth is wildly undersung as an actor and a leading man. He should have gotten the win last year and I say again, if he doesn't get it this year, I'm going to start finding home addresses of Academy voters and start sending hate mail!

    NICE REVIEWS baby! I still think we could have gone for the trifecta - if only The Company Men had been out too!

    ReplyDelete